Tuesday, August 24, 2010

25 Things? Or, It's The 2nd Post, I Should Probably Introduce Myself

In an attempt to be as unoriginal as possible, and with apologies to those on Facebook whom I am now ripping off, allow me to be the 6 billionth person to tell you 25 Random Things About Me:


1.My name is Josh McDevitt-Spall. It's technically Joshua, but no one calls me that unless I'm in trouble.



2.Don't ask about the middle name. It's unimportant. I wouldn't tell you anyway.


3.I went with the hyphenate because my wife wouldn't accept just calling ourselves the McSpalls.


4.I'm married to an amazing woman, and we have a 3 year old daughter.


5.You don't need to know their names. You may try to find them and ask about my middle name. This would be unacceptable.


6.I've known my wife for 4 years, we've been married for 2 years, and our daughter is 3 years old. You do the math.


7.I sing for a band called The 1947 California Cupcake Company. It's a two man acoustic act. Surprisingly, when chicks see two guys onstage calling themselves the Cupcakes it's not much of an aphrodisiac.


8.My favorite food is Crab Rangoon. I told my best friend that if I ever met a girl who knew how to make crab rangoons, I would marry her. I told him this to explain my fascination with our waitress at the chinese buffet. When my girlfriend (now wife) made crab rangoons for dinner on our 3rd date, I called my friend and asked him to be my best man.


9.My wife was not the waitress from the chinese buffet.


10.I fear and despise needles. I can't watch movies or television shows in which someone is getting a shot, not even if it's animated.


11.There are a surprisingly high number of needles in the animated entertainment industry. Seriously, most people never notice them or think about them. I bet you can't name 2 examples right now, but I promise you they're out there. I cringe at cartoons.


12.Cats make me die. I first discovered this after a party at a friend's house when I woke up with his cat on my chest. I couldn't breathe and my face was swollen to twice it's normal size. Ever since, I'm unable to hang out around cats. (unless they're jazz musicians.)


13.It's probably karmic justice for the time I put that same cat in a microwave. I didn't do it maliciously, I never turned the microwave on, and I let her out after a while. But, she had been leaping up onto the coffee table and knocking over our shot glasses. The microwave kept her out of the way.


14.Cats can sense that I'm allergic and seem to flock to me. They rub all over me, depositing their fur on all of my clothing. It's unpleasant. I should just buy stock in Claritin.


15.I'm an aspiring novelist and I plan on spending most of November writing. You should totally Google the term “NaNoWriMo” it's pretty cool.


16.I am secretly addicted to the show “Big Brother”. Well, I was secretly addicted, I guess now I'm openly addicted. Oops.


17.I really like the color green. It's my favorite color. When I was growing up my room was painted light green with dark green carpeting. It was something akin to living inside a lime.


18.I have no idea why I started a blog. Seemed like something to do at the time. Now I'm forcing my self to write in it at least once a week (I'd like to get to daily.) I guess it's good practice for November when I'll be forcing myself to write at least 2,000 words/day. I've got to learn to rise above the writer's block.


19.Apparently I'm not as interesting as most of my friends. Finding 25 things about myself that I think would actually be funny or interesting to others is actually proving to be difficult.


20.While in high school I got a job bagging groceries at a local supermarket. For some reason, on one of my first days there I began speaking with an English Cockney accent. I don't know why I did it. I worked there for three years and never broke character. I had long-time regular customers convinced I was an exchange student. I developed an entire backstory. It's really kind of sad when you think about it.


21.In college I became a butcher in my college town's local grocery store. At first I was afraid the accent would return, but it didn't. Instead I chose to try being completely silent outside the limited communicative demands of my job. When finally cornered by one of the townie kids and forced to speak I rattled off every spanish word I knew in rapid succession. He left confused, and convinced that I only spoke spanish. When my supervisor asked me about this, I replied (in perfect english) that the townie kid must be crazy.


22.I majored in Elementary Education in college. I was going to be a kindergarten teacher.


23.During my student teaching I suffered a gran mal seizure in which I stumbled, fell, and began shaking violently on the ground.


24.Most of the kids thought I was dancing.


25.I never became a teacher. I had a hard time searching for a teaching job after the seizure because I couldn't drive around town (they took away my license for 6 months). During that time I found work helping people with disabilities.


26.I love it and have never looked back. Oops, that was 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment